Explore extraordinary scenery as your Big Red Jeep winds its way through the labyrinth of geological cuts and canyons of the San Andreas Fault Zone with one of our award-winning naturalist guides!
- Round-trip hotel transfer via Jeep from La Quinta, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, or Rancho Mirage
- Expert naturalist guides and open-air 7-Passenger Jeeps
- All admission / use fees and taxes
- Granola snack and bottled water
- Guided hike or nature-walk – easy to moderate difficulty
- Price per 7-pax Jeep Plus 10% guide gratuity
- 4-Hour Tour 8:00 AM or 1:00 PM
- 4.5-Hour Tour 7:30 AM or 1:00 PM
- 5-Hour Tour 7:00 AM or 1:00 PM
- Departure Times: If you would like to depart at a different time, note that morning tours must end by Noon. Afternoon tours start at 1:00 PM or later.
Explore the Out-of-This-World Geology of the Mecca Hills
Experience sheer canyon walls, fascinating geology, local agriculture, scenic vistas, abundant desert flora, and amazing hiking options on this 4×4 back-country adventure.
After boarding your Big Red Jeep, you journey to the eastern end of the Coachella Valley where you will find yourself immersed in our area’s second-largest industry: agriculture. Depending on the time of year and growing conditions, you may see fields of artichokes, cauliflower, peppers, strawberries, and even exotic mangoes to name just a few of the crops grown locally. You also pass farms that grow Red Flame and Thompson grapes, as well as groves of oranges, lemons, limes, and dates. Can you guess what percentage of domestic dates are grown in the Coachella Valley? Take this tour to find out!
After rising above the agricultural basin, behold an awe-inspiring view of the Salton Sea from a vista point. As you leave the pavement and enter the majestic Mecca Hills Wilderness Area, you are amazed by the lunar-like landscape reminiscent of Star Trek. Journey into spectacular Painted Canyon and marvel at the incredible billion-year-old rainbow-colored mineral striations towering above you.
- This tour includes a lot of walking/hiking. Guests spend approximately 2 hours of the tour out of the Jeep exploring narrow slot canyons on foot.
- Guests can choose from an array of hikes ranging from a fairly easy nature walk, to the Indiana Jones Hike, to the infamous “Hike of Death”! Hikes range in difficulty from easy to moderate.
- Due to BLM regulations, a maximum of 6 Jeeps (42 guests) are allowed on this tour.
- Snacks and beverages
- Boxed breakfast or lunch
- Logo t-shirts, sweatshirts, or jackets
- Logo hats or visors
- Water-bottles with company logo
- Custom logo wraps for Jeep signs (sides and back)