best tour for hikers
Painted Canyon GEOLOGY AND AGRICULTURE 4×4 Jeep Tour
coachella valley agriculture plus hiking in the Sand Andreas Fault Zone
Due to COVID-19 health & safety concerns, we are currently only offering private tours.
MASKS ARE REQUIRED to be worn when guests are in the Jeeps, or whenever 6 feet of physical distance cannot be maintained.
Party of 2 or 3 guests (Price per person)
Party of 2: all ages$300
Party of 3: all ages$200
Party of 4 or more guests (Price per person)
Adult: 18 years and up $175
Child: 3-17 years $140
Whole Jeep (Price per Jeep)
Whole Jeep: Up to 7 guests$1,000
Online reservations are accepted for up to 2 Jeeps / 14 guests.
Call (760) 477-4118 or contact us to book 3 or more Jeeps.
PAINTED CANYON Geology and Agriculture 4×4 Jeep Tour
Experience sheer canyon walls, fascinating geology, local agriculture, scenic vistas, abundant desert flora, and amazing hiking options on this 4×4 back-country adventure.
Coachella Valley Agriculture:
Journey to the eastern end of the Coachella Valley where you will find yourself immersed in our area’s second largest industry: agriculture. Depending on the time of year and growing conditions, you may see fields of artichokes, cauliflower, bell peppers, dates, table grapes, and citrus to name just a few of the crops grown locally.
Salton Sea Views:
As you rise above the agricultural basin and cross the beautiful Coachella canal, you will be afforded with a magnificent view of the awe-inspiring Salton Sea.
Out-of-this-World Scenery of the Painted Canyon | Mecca Hills Area:
As you leave the pavement and enter the majestic Mecca Hills Wilderness Area, you will be amazed by the lunar-like landscape, reminiscent of Star Trek. Journey into the spectacular Painted Canyon and marvel at the billion-year-old rainbow-colored mineral striations towering above you.
Choose from one of several walks or hikes through the canyons, ranging from an easy nature walk to a ladder hike or the Indian Jones Hike or the Hike of Death!
Tour Availability: Tours are offered October – May only
Reservations: Advance reservations are required
Vehicle: Open-air 7-passenger Jeep CJ-8 (Scrambler) with shade top
Hotel Pickup: Complimentary pickup is offered from the cities of Palm Desert, Thousand Palms, Indian Wells, Bermuda Dunes, La Quinta, and Indio. Tours departing from Ranch Mirage are $50 per Jeep additional or guests may meet at our main departure location in front of Walmart Neighborhood Market off Jefferson Street and Avenue 48 in Indio/Coachella (83053 Ave 48, Coachella, CA 92236) at no additional charge.
- Naturalist guided tour in a classic open-air Jeep Scrambler (CJ-8) with removable canvas shade top
- Guided hike (Choose from a variety of easy to moderate hikes) – You will spend approximately 2 hours of your tour out of the Jeep exploring narrow slot canyons on foot
- Bureau of Land Management Use Fees
- Bottled water and granola snacks
- This tour is suitable for children aged 8 and up. The minimum age for this tour is 5 years of age.
- Proper footwear (hiking boots or walking/tennis shoes with good traction) are required. Please no open-toe shoes or sandals.
- Guests should be in reasonably good physical condition to take this tour. This tour included a lot of walking/hiking. You will spend approximately 2 hours of your tour out of the Jeep exploring narrow slot canyons through soft sand on foot.
- There are limited bathroom facilities on this tour. Please let your guide know before the tour starts if you require frequent bathroom stops so that accommodations can be made.
- Guests who are pregnant or who have neck or back issues or injuries should consult with their doctor before taking this tour.
- Due to COVID-19 health and safety concerns, all guests must complete a health screening, including temperature check, prior to participating in this tour. MASKS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL GUESTS AND STAFF WHENEVER THEY ARE WITHIN 6 FEET OF ANOTHER PERSON. Masks can be removed while hiking or when out of the Jeep, as long as everyone maintains at least 6-feet of physical distance between one another. Masks are mandatory when riding in the Jeep or whenever 6-feet of physical distancing cannot be maintained.
Child Policy: Children must be at least 3 years of age AND 1) weigh over 40 pounds OR 2) be at least 40 inches tall to ride in our Jeeps. Children under the age of 8 or 4’9″ tall must ride in a booster seat (supplied by the guest and secured by a 2-point seat belt in the back of the Jeep).