San Andreas Fault FOUR POSTS Hiking Tour by Jeep
Hike through desert washes and intermittent high-walled canyons revealing unique geologic features around every bend
Due to COVID-19 health & safety concerns, we are currently only offering private tours.
MASKS ARE REQUIRED to be worn when guests are in the Jeeps, or whenever 6 feet of physical distance cannot be maintained.
Party of 2 or 3 guests (Price per person)
Party of 2: all ages$225
Party of 3: all ages$150
Party of 4 or more guests (Price per person)
Adult: 18 years and up $125
Child: 3-17 years $100
Whole Jeep (Price per Jeep)
Whole Jeep: Up to 7 guests$750
Online reservations are accepted for up to 2 Jeeps / 14 guests.
Call (760) 477-4118 or contact us to book 3 or more Jeeps.
San Andreas Fault “FOUR POSTS” Hiking Tour by Jeep
Naturalist guided 2 – 2.5 mile hike winding through high-walled canyons, revealing amazing geologic formations.
Naturalist Guided Hike Through the San Andreas Fault Zone:
Four Post Canyon starts out in a wide level wash that narrows to intermittent high walled canyons and winds around like a snake, revealing interesting geologic formations around every corner.
Along the way, your naturalist guide will teach you about desert plants and animals as well as the geology and seismology of the San Andreas Fault zone as you explore the back-country of our private, pristine, and exclusive Metate Ranch property.
Near the back of the canyon, the trail rises gradually, leading to a great view of the valley floor and Santa Rosa mountains below. Double back to the canyon floor and hike into 2 other interesting side canyons nearby.
As you return to the Jeep, sunlight will draw your attention to a shiny mineral called selenite, as well as a fossil bed of uplifted shale-like material with ancient embedded fossil shells.
Wildlife sightings are common on this trail (e.g., desert iguanas, whiptail lizards, coyotes, hawks) due to limited human traffic.
- Morning tours are offered year-round
- Afternoon tours are offered October – May only
Reservations: Advance reservations are required
Vehicle: Open-air 7-passenger Jeep CJ-8 (Scrambler) with shade top
Hotel Pickup: Complimentary pickup is offered from the cities of Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Thousand Palms, Indian Wells, Bermuda Dunes, La Quinta, and Indio. Tours departing from Palm Springs or Cathedral City are $50 per Jeep additional or guests may meet at Metate Ranch near Indio at no additional charge.
- Transportation to the trail head is via classic open-air Jeep Scrambler (CJ-8) with removable canvas shade top
- Naturalist guided hike
- HIKE RATING: Easy
- HIKE DISTANCE: 2 to 2.5 miles on mostly level terrain
- Metate Ranch land and road use fees
- Bottled water and granola snacks
- This tour is suitable for children aged 8 and up.
- Proper footwear (hiking boots or closed to shoes with good tread) are mandatory.
- Guests should be in moderate to good physical condition. This hike involves walking in soft sand and hiking up moderate inclines.
- There are no bathrooms on the trail. Bathroom stops before and after the hike, however, are available.
- Guests who are pregnant or who have neck or back issues or injuries should consult with their doctor before taking this tour.
- Due to COVID-19 health and safety concerns, all guests must complete a health screening, including temperature check, prior to participating in this tour. MASKS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL GUESTS AND STAFF WHENEVER THEY ARE WITHIN 6 FEET OF ANOTHER PERSON. Masks can be removed while hiking or when out of the Jeep, as long as everyone maintains at least 6-feet of physical distance between one another. Masks are mandatory when riding in the Jeep or whenever 6-feet of physical distancing cannot be maintained.
Child Policy: Children must be at least 3 years of age AND 1) weigh over 40 pounds OR 2) be at least 40 inches tall to ride in our Jeeps. Children under the age of 8 or 4’9″ tall must ride in a booster seat (supplied by the guest and secured by a 2-point seat belt in the back of the Jeep).