Most In-Depth San Andreas Fault Tour
San Andreas Fault
BONES OF THE EARTH
4x4 Jeep Tour
Due to COVID-19 health & safety concerns, we are currently only offering private tours.
MASKS ARE REQUIRED to be worn when guests are in the Jeeps, or whenever 6 feet of physical distance cannot be maintained.
Party of 2 or 3 guests (Price per person)
Party of 2: all ages$250
Party of 3: all ages$169
Party of 4 or more guests (Price per person)
Adult: 18 years and up $150
Child: 3-17 years $120
Whole Jeep (Price per Jeep)
Whole Jeep: Up to 7 guests$850
Online reservations are accepted for up to 2 Jeeps / 14 guests.
Call (760) 477-4118 or contact us to book 3 or more Jeeps.
San Andreas Fault “Bones of the Earth” 4×4 Jeep Tour
Extraordinary scenery abounds as your Big Red Jeep winds its way through the labyrinth of geological cuts and canyons of the San Andreas Fault Zone as your naturalist guide entertains you with stories about the plants, animals, geology, seismology and history of the California desert. This is our signature and most popular Jeep Tour!
Our Most Popular and In-Depth San Andreas Fault Jeep Tour!
This is our signature tour and most in-depth San Andreas Fault Experience. On this adventure, you will learn about the plants, animals, geology, and seismology of the California Desert and San Andreas Fault Zone. This tour also explains how and why the Cahuilla Indians lived in the fault zone and how they built and maintained a vibrant culture in this arid and inhospitable environment.
Journey Through the San Andreas Fault Zone:
Extraordinary scenery abounds as your Big Red Jeep winds its way through the labyrinth of geological cuts and canyons of the San Andreas Fault Zone as your naturalist guide entertains you with stories about the plants, animals, geology, seismology and history of the California desert.Take a walk between the steep walls of canyons created by the powerful forces of plate tectonics, water, wind, and time and enjoy spectacular views and unique geologic features as your guide describes the geologic forces and local history that shaped the Coachella Valley.
Visit a Natural Palm Oasis:
Visit a natural palm oasis where crystal-clear water bubbles up year-round from the underground aquifer. Here, you will learn how the Cahuilla Indians used desert plants for food, medicine, shelter, tools, and weapons and how they built and maintained a vibrant culture in this arid and inhospitable environment.
Tour a Recreated Cahuilla Indian Village:
Enjoy a guided tour of a recreated Cahuilla Indian Village that sits on the former site of the ancient Cahuilla Village site of Paltewet. Your guide will share stories about the culture and lifestyle of the Cahuilla People as you tour a ceremonial long-house, sweat lodge, and kishes (family huts) adorned with interpretive displays.
- Morning tours are offered year-round
- Afternoon tours are offered October – May only
Reservations: Advance reservations are required
Vehicle: Open-air 7-passenger Jeep CJ-8 (Scrambler) with shade top
Hotel Pickup: Complimentary pickup is offered from the cities of Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Thousand Palms, Indian Wells, Bermuda Dunes, La Quinta, and Indio. Tours departing from Palm Springs or Cathedral City are $50 per Jeep additional or guests may meet at Metate Ranch near Indio at no additional charge.
- Naturalist guided tour in a classic open-air Jeep Scrambler (CJ-8) with removable canvas shade top
- Guided nature walk or easy hike – geared to the abilities of the guests in the jeep
- Metate Ranch land and road use fees
- Bottled water and granola snacks
- This tour is suitable for children aged 3 and up.
- Proper footwear (hiking boots or walking/tennis shoes) are required. Please no open-toe shoes or sandals.
- Guests get in and out of the Jeep several times on this tour to partake in short nature walks or an easy hike. Please let us know when booking if you have any mobility issues that limit your ability to walk or if you will need assistance getting in or out of the Jeep.
- Guests who are pregnant or who have neck or back issues or injuries should consult with their doctor before taking this tour.
- Due to COVID-19 health and safety concerns, all guests must complete a health screening, including temperature check, prior to participating in this tour. MASKS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL GUESTS AND STAFF WHENEVER THEY ARE WITHIN 6 FEET OF ANOTHER PERSON. Masks can be removed while hiking or when out of the Jeep, as long as everyone maintains at least 6-feet of physical distance between one another. Masks are mandatory when riding in the Jeep or whenever 6-feet of physical distancing cannot be maintained.
Child Policy: Children must be at least 3 years of age AND 1) weigh over 40 pounds OR 2) be at least 40 inches tall to ride in our Jeeps. Children under the age of 8 or 4’9″ tall must ride in a booster seat (supplied by the guest and secured by a 2-point seat belt in the back of the Jeep).